Student Job(S), Books Marketing Team
Marketing and Sales
The Duke University Press Books Marketing Team seeks 3-4 Duke students for paid internships involving 10 hours of remote work per week during the 2020-2021 school year, in support of 10 full-time staff members who oversee the complete marketing program for more than 100 general interest and scholarly titles annually (in the areas of advertising, publicity, sales, presence at academic conferences, electronic marketing, and the production of seasonal and subject area catalogs).
Although this job is remote due to COVID-19 restrictions, residency within NC is still required.
Also, students must have their own Windows or Mac computer; as well as their own reliable internet connection.
Ideal candidates will be able to work 10 hours per week during the entire 2020-2021 school year, involving 2-5 hours per shift. Both work study and non-work study positions are available.
Work hours are highly flexible, and the pay rate is $10.70 - $12.00 per hour, depending on educational level.
If interested, send an e-mail to StudentJobs@dukeUpress.edu before close of the position on Monday, August 17, 2020. Please put “Books Marketing Student Job” in the subject line, attach your résumé & cover letter, and include contact information for 3 references.
Apply for this Job >
Assist the Books Marketing Team with the following (and additional) tasks:
- Prepare publicity materials, such as advance review copies and page proofs, review slips, and fliers
- Process and excerpt incoming book reviews
- Fill media requests for review copies
- Prepare sales materials intended for use by our sales reps
- Scan artwork for direct mail and subject area catalogs
- Assist prize coordinator in nominating books for various academic prizes
- Send out manuscripts to cover endorsers
- Draft blog posts and assist with social media
- Send ads and reviews to authors
- Routine office support, including filing, photocopying, and data entry
Experience: No prior publishing experience required
Education/Training: Applicants must be currently enrolled Duke student, undergraduate or graduate
- Attention to detail is important for success in this position
- Interest in the Duke University Press publishing program is a plus
- Successful applicants will possess intellectual curiosity, the capacity to think creatively, and the ability to engage with academic work, regardless of their main field of study
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.