Trevor R. Getz is Professor of History and Chair of the Department of History at San Francisco State University and the author and editor of several books, including Abina and the Important Men.
Part I. Conceiving a Student-Centered Course
1. A Place to Begin: What Students Bring with Them
2. Setting Goals: Why Should Students Study African History?
Part II. Content and Design
3. Locating Africa: Designing with Space
4. When Was Africa? Designing with Time
5. Who Are Africans? Designing with Identity
6. Making Hard Choices: Coverage and Uncoverage
Part III. Opportunities
7. Ethical Thinking as an Outcome of the African History Course
8. Teaching Methodology and Source Interpretation through the African History Course
9. The African History Course and the Other Digital Divide
10. Bringing It All Together
Paper ISBN: 978-0-8223-6982-0
Cloth ISBN: 978-0-8223-7103-8