Elizabeth Freeman is Professor of English at the University of California, Davis, and the author of Time Binds: Queer Temporalities, Queer Histories and The Wedding Complex: Forms of Belonging in Modern American Culture, both also published by Duke University Press.
1. Shake it Off: The Physiopolitics of Shaker Dance, 1744–1856 27
2. The Gift of Constant Escape: Playing Dead in African American Literature, 1948–1900 52
3. Feeling Historicisms: Libidinal History in Twain and Hopkins 87
4. The Sense of Unending: Defective Chronicity in "Bartleby, the Scrivener" and "Melanctha" 124
5. Sacra/Mentality in Djuna Barnes's Nightwood 158
Coda. Rhythm Travel 187