Richard Sakwa is Professor of Russian and European Politics at the University of Kent.
Henry E. Hale is Professor of Political Science and International Affairs at George Washington University.
Stephen White is Emeritus Professor and former James Bryce Professor of Politics at the University of Glasgow.
List of Figures and Tables ix
Notes on Contributors xii
List of Abbreviations xvi
1. Politics in Russia / Richard Sakwa 1
2.Presidency and Executive / John P. Willerton 18
3. Political Parties / Ora John Reuter 38
4. Parliamentary Politics in Russia / Ben Noble 54
5. National Identity and the Contested Nation / Marlene Laruelle 67
7. Protest, Civil Society and Informal Politics / Graeme B. Robertson 80
8. Russia, Media, and Audiences / Ellen Mickiewicz 94
9. Assessing the Rule of Law in Russia / Kathryn Hendley 108
10. A Federal State? / Darrell Slider 119
11. Managing the Economy / Philip Hanson 133
12. Inequality and Social Policy in Russia / Thomas F. Remington 150
13. Russian Foreign Policy / Valentina Feklyunina 165
14. Security, the Military, and Politics / Bettina Renz 180
15. Russia and Its Neighbours / Samuel Charap 192
16. The Continuing Evolution of Russia's Political System / Henry E. Hale 205
Guide to Further Reading 217