Heather Anne Swanson is Associate Professor of Anthropology at Aarhus University.
Marianne Elisabeth Lien is Professor of Social Anthropology at the University of Oslo.
Gro B. Ween is Associate Professor of Anthropology at the Cultural History Museum, University of Oslo.
Introduction. Naming the Beast—Exploring the Otherwise / Marianne Elisabeth Lien, Heather Anne Swanson, and Gro B. Ween 1
Part I. Intimate Encounters: Domestication from Within
1. Breeding with Birds of Prey: Intimate Encounters / Sara Asu Schroer 33
2. Pigs and Spirits in Ifugao: A Cosmological Decentering of Domestication / Jon Henrik Ziegler Remme 50
3. Dog Ears and Tails: Different Relational Ways of Being with Canines in Aboriginal Australia and Mongolia / Natasha Fijn 72
4. Farm Animals in a Welfare State: Commercial Pigs in Denmark / Inger Anneberg and Mette Vaarst 94
5. Ducks into Houses: Domestication and Its Margins / Marianne Elisabeth Lien 117
Part II. Beyond the Farm: Domestication as World-Making
6. Domestication Gone Wild: Pacific Salmon and the Disruption of the Domus / Heather Anne Swanson 141
7. Natural Goods on the Fruit Frontier: Cultivating Apples in Norway / Frida Hastrup 159
8. Domestication of Air, Scent, and Disease / Rune Flikke 176
9. How the Salmon Found Its Way Home: Science, State Ownership, and the Domestication of Wild Fish / Gro B. Ween and Heather Anne Swanson 196
10. Wilderness through Domestication: Trout, Colonialism, and Capitalism in South Africa / Knut G. Nustad 215
Provocation. Nine Provocations for the Study of Domestication / Anna Tsing 231