Lisa Rofel is Professor of Anthropology at the University of California, Santa Cruz, and author of Desiring China: Experiments in Neoliberalism, Sexuality, and Public Culture, also published by Duke University Press.
Sylvia J. Yanagisako is Edward Clark Crossett Professor of Humanistic Studies and Professor of Anthropology at Stanford University and author of Producing Culture and Capital: Family Firms in Italy.
Foreword / Robert J. Foster vii
I. The Negotiation of Value 35
1. Negotiating Managerial Labor Power and Value / Lisa Rofel and Sylvia J. Yanagisako 43
II. Historical Legacies and Revisionist Histories 109
2. The (Re-)Emergence of Entrepreneurialism in Postsocialist China / Lisa Rofel 119
3. Italian Legacies of Capital and Labor / Sylvia Yanagisako 161
4. One Fashion, Two Nations: Italian-Chinese Collaborations / Simona Segre Reinach 190
III. Kinship and Transnational Capitalism 217
5. On Generation / Sylvia Yanagisako 227
6. The Reappearance and Elusiveness of Chinese Family Firms / Lisa Rofel 264
Appendix: Four Types of Collaboration between Chinese and Italian Firms 313
Paper ISBN: 978-1-4780-0045-7
Cloth ISBN: 978-1-4780-0029-7