Ayse Çaglar is Professor of Social and Cultural Anthropology at the University of Vienna and coeditor of Locating Migration: Rescaling Cities and Migrants.
Nina Glick Schiller is Professor Emeritus of Social Anthropology at the University of Manchester. She is coauthor of Georges Woke Up Laughing: Long-Distance Nationalism and the Search for Home, also published by Duke University Press, and most recently, coeditor of Whose Cosmopolitanism? Critical Perspectives, Relationalities, and Discontents.
List of Illustrations ix
Introduction. Multiscalar City-Making and Emplacement: Processes, Concepts, and Methods 1
1. Introducing Three Cities: Similarities despite Difference 33
2. Welcoming Narratives: Small Migrant Businesses within Multiscalar Restructuring 95
3. They Are Us: Urban Sociabillites with Multiscalar Power 121
4. Social Citizenship of the Dispossessed: Embracing Global Christianity 147
5. "Searching Its Future in Its Past": The Multiscalar Emplacement of Returnees 177
Conclusion. Time, Space, and Agency 209
Paper ISBN: 978-0-8223-7056-7
Cloth ISBN: 978-0-8223-7044-4