Kwasi Konadu is John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Chair in Africana and Latin American Studies at Colgate University and the author and editor of several books, including The Ghana Reader: History, Culture, Politics, also published by Duke University Press, and Transatlantic Africa, 1440–1888.
1. Libation: Matters Connected with Our Culture 17
2. Homelands: In Search of Past Events 44
3. Tools of the Trade: I was a Blacksmith . . . Before I Became [a Healer] 73
4. Medicine, Marriage, and Politics: Assist this State to have Progress 107
5. Independences: Never Mingled Himself in Local Politics 137
6. Anthropologies of Medicine and Africa: When the Whiteman First Came 166
7. Uncertain Moments and Memory: Our Ancestral Spirits, Come and Have Drink 195