Kyla Schuller is Assistant Professor of Women's and Gender Studies at Rutgers University, New Brunswick.
Introduction. Sentimental Biopower 1
1. Taxonomies of Feeling: Sensation and Sentiment in Evolutionary Race Science 35
2. Body as Text, Race as Palimpsest: Frances E. W. Harper and Black Feminist Biopolitics 68
3. Vaginal Impressions: Gyno-neurology and the Racial Origins of Sexual Difference 100
4. Incremental Life: Biophilanthropy and the Child Migrants of the Lower East Side 134
5. From Impressibility to Interactionism: W. E. B. Du Bois, Black Eugenics, and the Struggle against Genetic Determinisms 172
Epilogue. The Afterlives of Impressibility 205