Tony Bennett is Research Professor in Social and Cultural Theory, Institute for Culture and Society, Western Sydney University.
Fiona Cameron is a Senior Research Fellow at the Institute for Culture and Society, Western Sydney University.
Nélia Dias is Associate Professor in the Department of Anthropology (ISCTE-IUL and CRIA).
Ben Dibley is a Research Fellow at the Institute for Culture and Society at Western Sydney University.
Rodney Harrison is Professor of Heritage Studies at the Institute of Archaeology, University College London.
Ira Jacknis is Research Anthropologist at the Phoebe A. Hearst Museum of Anthropology, University of California, Berkeley.
Conal McCarthy is Director of the Museum & Heritage Studies program at Victoria University of Wellington, Aotearoa/New Zealand.
Acronyms and Abbreviations xiii
Note on the Text xv
1. Collecting, Ordering, Governning 9
2. Curatorial Logics and Colonial Rule: The Political Rationalities of Anthropology in Two Australian-Administered Territories 51
3. A Liberal Archive of Everyday Life: Mass-Observation as Oligopticon 89
4. Boas and After: Museum Anthropology and the Governance of Difference in America 131
5. Producing "The Maori as He Was": New Zealand Museums, Anthropological Governance, and Indigenous Agency 175
6. Ethnology, Governance, and Greater France 217