Terry Smith is Andrew W. Mellon Professor of Contemporary Art History and Theory at the University of Pittsburgh and Professor in the Division of Philosophy, Art, and Critical Thought at the European Graduate School. He is the author of several books, including Making the Modern: Industry, Art, and Design in America and What Is Contemporary Art?
Robert Bailey is Assistant Professor of Art History at the University of Oklahoma and the author of Art & Language International: Conceptual Art between Art Worlds, also published by Duke University Press.
List of Illustrations ix
Introduction: A Theory of Conceptualism / Robert Bailey 1
1. Art and Art and Language 37
2. The Tasks of Translation: Art & Language in Australia and New Zealand, 1975-76 57
3. A Conversation about Conceptual Art, Subjectivity, and the Post-Partum Document 85
4. Peripheries in Motion: Conceptualism and Conceptual Art in Australia and New Zealand 99
5. One and Three Ideas: Conceptualism Before, During, and After Conceptual Art 127
Paper ISBN: 978-0-8223-6131-2
Cloth ISBN: 978-0-8223-6112-1