Bianca C. Williams is Associate Professor of Anthropology at The Graduate Center, City University of New York.
Introduction. "Jamaica Crawled Into My Soul": Black Women, Affect, and the Promise of Diaspora 1
1. More Than a Groove: Pursuing Happiness as a Political Project 31
2. "Giving Back" to Jamaica: Experiencing Community and Conflict While Traveling with Diasporic Heart 65
3. Why Jamaica? Seeking the Fantasy of a Black Paradise 99
4. Breaking (It) Down: Gender, Emotional Entanglements, and the Realities of Romance Tourism 123
5. Navigating (Virtual) Jamaica: Online Diasporic Contact Zones 163
Epilogue. Lessons Learned 187
Winner of the Second Annual Nelson Graburn Book Award, presented by the Anthropology Tourism Interest Group of the American Anthropological Association.