Nina Sun Eidsheim is Professor of Musicology at the University of California, Los Angeles, and the author of Sensing Sound: Singing and Listening as Vibrational Practice, also published by Duke University Press.
Introduction. The Acousmatic Question: Who Is This? 1
1. Formal and Informal Pedagogies: Believing in Race, Teaching Race, Hearing Race 39
2. Phantom Genealogy: Sonic Blackness and the American Operatic Timbre 61
3. Familiarity as Strangeness: Jimmy Scott and the Question of Black Timbral Masculinity 91
4. Race as Zeros and Ones: Vocaloid Refused, Reimagined, and Repurposed 115
5. Bifurcated Listening: The Inimitable, Imitated Billie Holiday 151
6. Widening Rings of Being: The Singer as Stylist and Technician 177
Finalist, 2019 Big Other Book Award for Nonfiction
Paper ISBN: 978-0-8223-6868-7
Cloth ISBN: 978-0-8223-6856-4
Funding Information This title is freely available in an open access edition thanks to generous support from the UCLA Library.