Paul Rabinow is Professor of Anthropology at the University of California, Berkeley, and is the author and editor of numerous books, including Designs for an Anthropology of the Contemporary, also published by Duke University Press, and, most recently, Modes of Uncertainty: Anthropological Cases.
Introduction. Form and Birkenau 1
1. Object: The Contemporary 15
2. Constellations: Writing and Imaging Strife 33
3. Assembling: Abet and Facilitate 65
4. Composition: Techne and Pathos 95
5. Contemporary Consolations: Unconsoled 125
6. Restive Endings 141