Elspeth H. Brown is Associate Professor of History at the University of Toronto, coeditor of Feeling Photography, also published by Duke University Press, and author of The Corporate Eye: Photography and the Rationalization of American Commercial Culture, 1884–1929.
1. From the Artist's Model to the Photographic Model: Containing Sexuality in the Early Twentieth Century 25
2. Race, Sexuality, and the 1920s Stage Model 69
3. Queering Interwar Fashion: Photographers, Models, and the Queer Production of the "Look" 103
4. Black Models and the Invention of the US: "Negro Market," 1945-1960 163
5. "You've Got to Be Real": Constructing Femininity in the Long 1970s 211
Paper ISBN: 978-1-4780-0033-4
Cloth ISBN: 978-1-4780-0026-6